How to Transfer an IRA While Overseas

Do you need to transfer an IRA but you live or work overseas? Moving an IRA while overseas is easier than you might think. Follow these steps to complete your IRA transfer from another country:

  1. Contact your current IRA custodian and let the representative know that you’re How to transfer an IRA while overseasplanning to transfer your IRA. If you’re unable to make outgoing calls to U.S. telephone numbers, then email your IRA broker; most IRA companies are able to make international calls. If you don’t have easy access to a telephone, then you can ask for the IRA transfer forms and instructions to be sent via email or fax.
  2. Complete the IRA transfer forms as instructed. In most cases, investors must also fill out an IRA application when moving funds to a new account.
  3. Submit your completed IRA transfer forms as instructed. Your IRA custodian might allow you to fax, or scan and email, the completed documents. In some cases, however, IRA providers require “wet ink” – meaning you’ll need to send the original documents to the United States. Ask your IRA provider to help you mail the documents securely.
  4. Investors who live or work overseas, such as retirees and military contractors, are usually given leeway by their IRA custodians when it comes to making investment decisions. When your IRA transfer is complete, you can direct your broker via telephone or email.

Recommended Read: How A Janguard IRA Transfer Can Impact Your Wealth & Help You Secure Your Independence

Do you live and/or work overseas, and have an IRA with one of the following retirement account providers?

  • Fidelity
  • Merrill Lynch
  • Morgan Stanley
  • Scottrade
  • TD Ameritrade
  • Vanguard

These and other IRA providers are no longer servicing accounts for individuals who live outside the United States, except in special circumstances. If you want or need to transfer your IRA and you’re currently overseas, you can call Janguard, Inc. at 800.571.6351 for free help and speak with a non-commissioned IRA transfer adviser for IRA transfer process.